It’s September in Texas which means it’s really still too warm to eat this dish. It’s so good though that I’ve made a variation of it twice in the last 8 days.
Mostly drain 3 cans of Italian seasoned DICED tomatoes. I accidentally bought stewed once instead of diced. It was still edible but more challenging for me to eat. I like my soup ingredients to mingle together on the spoon. Don’t stress about getting all the liquid out.
When I first saw my friends posting their version of this soup with tortellini, I thought we’d never be able to make this because of celiac. Someone suggested I try it with GF gnocchi. Winner winner, NOT chicken dinner!
By the time you get your ingredients organized, your pot should be ready. I added a drizzle of olive oil to the pot since the sausage looked a little lean, but this is optional. Brown the sausage and break up the clumps as you go. Try to let it get seared on one side before you go messing with it. Your patience will be rewarded.
Instant Pot Gluten Free Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- 1 pound GF sausage
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 32 oz GF chicken stock
- 1 box GF gnocchi
- 3 cans diced tomatoes (Italian seasoned if possible) — mostly drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated garlic (optional)
- Brown 1 pound GF sausage on sauté. Add in a sprinkle of granulated garlic (about 1/2 tsp) as sausage browns.
- Dump in tomatoes and use residual juice to scrape up the browned bits off the bottom of the IP.
- Mix in tomato paste and spinach followed by chicken stock. Add in 1 tsp kosher salt and about 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Add in gnocchi but don’t stir.
- Drop chunks of cream cheese on top.
- Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Quick release. Stir, adjust seasonings to taste, and serve! Makes enough to feed 6-8 people.