Amazon sold over 200,000 Instant Pots on Prime Day earlier this month. Here’s an easy, naturally gluten free recipe that everyone can enjoy whether or not you’re gluten free. It’s a great starter recipe for the IP!
Start by hitting the Saute button. Hit the adjust button (under the + sign) to turn the saute feature to high (I snapped the pic before I did this). When you first turn it on, the display will say “On.”
Drain your tomatoes and your beans. I used the 3 bean blend because it keeps everybody in our house happy, but you could also use all black or all pinto. I don’t rinse the beans so that the soup will be a little thicker.
If you’ve got homemade chicken stock, USE IT. Homemade is delicious, but I do not have any thawed on hand, and the point of this recipe is how easy it’s supposed to be. I love this chicken stock; I use it frequently to cook quinoa or rice. It’s gluten free! I prefer the unsalted kind so that I can control how much salt goes into the recipe.
Meet my favorite way to use garlic. It’s minced in a giant jar that I store in the fridge. No garlic hands for me! Add 1 tsp (more if you love garlic like I do — I used closer to 2 tsp) and allow to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Dump in 2 cans of beans and 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes. Add in your seasonings (1 TBSP chili powder, 1 TBSP cumin, 1/2 tsp chipotle powder) and some more salt and pepper (1 tsp and 1/2 tsp respectively), and mix well. Lay chicken breasts on top.
Put the IP lid back on and hit “Keep warm/ cancel.” Then hit “Manual” and then the – button (above “Pressure”) and decrease the time down to 8 minutes. Wait patiently for your IP to come to pressure and cook for 8 minutes (mine took closer to 20 to do all of it).
Here’s the game changer: you can use a stand mixer to shred your chicken breasts in less than a minute. I put all 3 breasts in at once since they weren’t very large, and I turned it on low using the paddle attachment.
We had enough to feed our family of three tonight and for at least two more meals. This makes a TON!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 chicken breasts (~1.5 lbs)
- 2 cans of beans (I used a 3 bean blend, but black or pinto would also work great here), drained and NOT rinsed
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken stock, no salt added
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- kosher salt/ pepper
- Turn IP to saute. Add 1 TBSP EVOO and cook onions and bell peppers for 4-5 minutes until onions start to turn translucent. Season with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper when you start to cook then. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add beans and tomatoes and mix well. Add chili powder, cumin, and chipotle powder as well as an additional tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp of freshly ground pepper. Mix well and top with chicken breasts. Pour 4 cups of chicken stock on top and add a couple of handfuls of chopped cilantro.
- Set IP to manual and cook for 8 minutes. QR and shred chicken in stand mixer or by hand. Add chicken back to pot and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheese, and/ or avocado.